'63 BUG NOOBY
16 years ago
Hi everyone,

My first post, so please be kind.
I've got a nice '63 bug with a 1600 engine and 12v system and I have this annoying "bearing" style noise in 3rd & 4th gear (no noise in 1st or 2nd at all, even up to 35 mph).

The noise is only under load with my foot on the accelorator and seems to not be as bad going up hills. It also stops with my foot on the clutch.

I've changed the oil in the gearbox with no change and would like to know where to go from here as my local VW mechanics (2 shops) say completely different things. Pinion bearing and main shaft bearing, both requiring the box to come out. I want to do it myself but don't know what repairs to make or wether to buy a new box.

Any help would be great.
Cheers,
'63 bug nooby.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Bert53
16 years ago
Strangely enough I have a similar problem in my '53. There is a knocking noise when the car is in 3rd or 4th, which is louder if it's under load. No noise in 1st or 2nd or when the clutch is depressed.
I'm not sure that it's to do with either the pinion bearing or main shaft bearing as surely these would make a noise in all gears not just 3rd and 4th?
I've got another box to put in mine when I have time, I'll then eventually get round to stripping the noisy box to find out what is wrong.

If you find out what's wrong with yours let me know.

Cheers,
John

'63 BUG NOOBY
16 years ago
Hi there Bert53,

Thanks for the reply,

If you would mind getting back to me when you've stripped the box down that would really be helping me out 'cause I've got no idea what it could be. Still scratching my head.

Thanks again.

Pete.